Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Last Full Day at Work

I can't believe this is coming to a close. I will say, however, that this last real day at work truly was a culmination of all that I have learned.

I decided to face my most disturbing placement and see how I would function now that I've gained some experience. I went back to Labor and Delivery. Once again, I witnessed no nurturing of these women, or assistance given to them with their labors. Since the room was open with no curtains drawn, and my actions have to count as "mentoring", not just nursing, I was able to do the work and mentor at the same time. I applied massaging pressure to the lower backs of 2 women who demonstrated reduced muscle tension and more even breathing. One woman, during the pushing phase of her labor, was laying with her head and back flat on the mattress. She was being yelled at to push but was unable to gain much traction to make her pushes effective. I suggested that perhaps if her back and shoulders were elevated it might help her. There was a slight nod in response but no move made to elevate her. I slid my arm under her shoulders and told her to look at me when a contraction came and that we would push together. She looked at me and nodded. Then she looked up at me, tensed up, I lifted her shoulders and encouraged her to push. I praised her. The baby came. The mother looked at me and smiled. She squeezed my hand and laughed. The preceptor looked at me and said “Thank you. You really helped her”. I know this seems like something that goes on all the time in delivery rooms but, I'm telling you, it doesn't ever happen here. My goal was to show that, by working with the mother rather than intimidating her, labor actually proceeds more effectively. It is a moment I will never forget. Ever. Just peak. I think it may be the most important mentoring I’ve done yet here. Of course, 10 minutes later I saw another nurse yelling at a laboring mother and actually slapping her legs to get her to open them wider. It was sadistic. I hope that at least the preceptor I worked with will encourage the student nurses to assist the women who are laboring and not continue to treat them like misbehaving children or worse. I have seen and met some truly wonderful nurses here, working in unimaginable circumstances, but this ward is scary.

The second half of the day I spent visiting 2 groups of AIDS orphans in rural areas about 45 minutes outside of Manzini. I wanted to post a video I made, but I seem to be unable to complete that process without error. I will try even after I get home. They are beautiful and their situation is heartbreaking and that's all I have to say about that right now.

Tomorrow there is a ceremony for the first year students. Then I pack. On Saturday I fly home. I'm ready to go home. I miss Stephen and Liam and Stella too. But I want so much to come back some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter